Sunday, February 20, 2005

Can I borrow some snobbiness?

So I realize I talk about Express WAY too much, but considering that it is one of my staples in my closet, it stands to reason. However, I am seriously considering boycotting Express for awhile. Their level of customer service has just gone way down, and I'm sorry I don't walk in in Prada (actually, ironically, I walked in today with a pair of Express pants and a Limited top!) but I feel like the representatives are just poorly trained. Today I went in to return a pink shirt that washed me out, and I wanted to pick up some of the $29.50 button-downs, which for some reason are not online so I can't even find a picture to post. Anyway. The first guy was really nice, but then he had to call over the manager for the return, and she was...ok. Not rude, not condescending, just aloof. There was a moment where I thought she wasn't about to let me return the shirt due to the fact that I forgot the receipt in the car because she pursed her lips and looked down her nose at me and kept flipping the price tag. HELLO...I patronize your store...some courtesy wouldn't kill you. So I traded it in for a lavender button-down, and I paid an extra $16 to make up the difference. (I also get a little upset here at the Return Exchange thing they have going on, but regardless). I understand.

Actually I was also kind of upset because I wasn't at my usual store and this store didn't have anything in my size so I had to settle for lavender. And no one bothered asking me if everything was ok or even volunteered to call another store, which is what all the stores used to do. So I settled for lavender because I just didn't want to deal with a conversation with the salesgirl about changing my mind about returning.

So I got into my car and headed to another Express because to tell you the truth, that lavender shirt is kind of a letdown. Another mall, another Express, the salesgirl at the desk was pretty nice, and bam! they had a blue button-down in MY SIZE! (Oh. Side note here: There were many more colors at this Express so I took a bunch into the dressing room with me, and the girl who was working the dressing room was SO nice and SO sweet...that if I had gotten her name, I would have submitted it into Express Corporate to make sure she got some recognition. She gave me a ton of advice on color and told me which size fit better...it was just as how ALL retail employees should be.) So anyway, I'm at the desk, and I get this snotty stick-up-his-ass pompous guy.

He scans in the lavender shirt, squints at the screen, and then looks at my license. He does this a couple more times, and so I'm like, "Is something wrong?" He ignores this, writes down some stuff, and goes to that Return Exchange machine thing and stands there as if waiting for the machine to tell him that I am the source of all problems that Express has been having lately. Of course, it okays me, so he comes back and asks me how much I paid for the shirt. So I tell him the entire story. He then tells me he'll just give me a merchandise credit for the difference. By now, I'm really confused so I tell him that it is an even exchange, to which he's like, "Well, I know that but the computer says it is worth $68." And he's frowning so hard that I feel like he thinks that I'm "frauding" the company somehow. So I say, "Well, I got it today, so if you don't believe the receipt, you can call the other Express store and confirm. Besides, the PRICE TAG says $48." So he's like, "I know. But the computer says I owe you money." So I'm like, "Well, I didn't pay that amount, but if you want to give me money, I'm not going to complain." Instead he calls his manager over, who saw me rolling my eyes, and was like, "Just override it and do the even exchange." With the manager assessing me as a non-potential fraud case, Mr. Snot immediately warms up and GUSHES, "I LOVE this french blue!" I roll my eyes yet again and go, "Can you just please wrap it up?" Seriously. Don't kiss my butt because I tried to be honest and you thought otherwise. Or that you were too dumb to figure out anything.

I think for all future returns, I just might sell everything on Ebay. I would probably get more money for it in the first place, and I wouldn't have to deal with psychotic salesclerks who don't even want my business. If they only knew how much I end up spending on clothes each year. Plus I think the entire Return Exchange is a violation of my privacy.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can boycott them like I boycott Gap! Love the Big B

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home