Sunday, January 16, 2005

The World of Semi-Annual Sales

January means, to me, the time where The Limited Brand Company decides to have all of its stores put on a semi-annual sale. It's a buying frenzy where you try to figure out what you've seen all fall/winter season and what you would like...and buy it at like 60% off purchase price. Sweet. Thus, the 22 pairs of pants story was born. But alas, this year...not sure if it's because of the sharply declining returning sales at the company or just an unforeseen lack of focus, most of the stores have been lacking in panache and verve. Suffice to say, my pocketbook is a lot fatter this season as a result. I like deals. But I don't like bad deals.

1) Victoria's Secret: Same old, same old. A lot of lotion for 3 for $11. A lot of bras for $9.99 or $19.99. And a lot of underwear for $2.99. It's only good if you ever need to stock up...which I do, but it's never anything new. Just your regular stash of underwear. Gives new meaning to why buy anytime else. It ends today. The best thing is that on my receipt, I got a survey invitation, which gave me a $5 off $25 on my next purchase. June sales, here I come.

2) Express: You know, the Express sale is sorely disappointing this year. First, they need to get rid of the box thing. Hang everything up where we can see them. I'm finding it rather pointless to go digging thru various boxes. I would dig in boxes for stuff that is $4.99, but $9.99? Please. Not for a thin faded shirt that looks all wrinkled in a box. The Express label isn't exactly haute couture. My theory is that the first semi-annual sale ever was such a success because of the bargain prices, that they decided to keep the format, but push prices higher in an effort to recoup all their sale losses. In the business world, it's a sound idea, but in the scientific world, it was obvious that the low prices were significantly tied to the willingness to dig through boxes. If one was adversely affected, it was bound to negatively affect the other one. An obvious example of a Type II error in which they failed to reject the null hypothesis when they changed a variable. What's worse is that after dismal sales for a year, they should have seen the light.

So the sale wasn't all that. A lot of boxes of $9.99 stuff. Coats for $49.99. Pants starting at $14.99 and $29.99. Faded button-downs at $14.99. Sweaters and such at $29.99. When I went, they were in the middle of marking down the boxes to $5.99. Given the fact that the sale will go on for another week or so, they'll mark everything down even further eventually just to move all the merchandise. Which is fine with me.

The last thing about Express is its shoddy customer service. I know someone who works there and is going to take offense, but seriously, it's getting out of hand. I don't know if it's because I go in there in warmups and a sweatshirt (which is the easiest to get out of) or whatnot, but a little "Hello, can I help you?" wouldn't kill you. What pissed me off was that I was looking at blazers, which all of them had been priced to $49.99 and then had a red slash thru the $49.99. So I asked the salesgirl if the prices had been reduced...and she affirmed it brusquely. Then I asked her what the new price was, and then she just walked away! So I had to ask another salesgirl what the new price was, and she looked at me, and was like, "I don't know". And walked away also! For crissakes...offer to look it up for me!! Needless to say, I was so appalled, I really didn't care to look at any of their other merchandise. Their loss.

3) The Limited: Surprisingly, the sale is ok. I had wonderful customer service first of all. I have to say, maybe the best customer service at Limited ever. The girl was so helpful and so apologetic about not having certain clothes...was great with the returns...it was different. But anyway. Shirts are $6.99, but the colors are definitely weird. Party clothes for $9.99. Sweaters are $9.99 or $14.99. Pants start at $14.99. Skirts start at $19.99. I got two sweaters that I've been eyeing for awhile, returned some sweaters that I had overbought in December, and basically flew out of there with no trouble. There is a black shawl there for $9.99 that I really want, but will obviously never wear...so I actually resisted buying it, but if it gets marked down, I will be back. I guess I could have used price adjustments if I had thought about it at the time. It's a good sale...it'll be going on for another couple of weeks.

4) Bath and Body Works: It's a great sale. I like. I've stocked up on pearberry and country apple lotions, splashs, antibacterial hand gel, body butters, True Blue Spa tanners and facial masks and scrubs, and a bunch of other things. Stuff ranges from $3 to $10, and it's pretty good. Each store has a different selection of stuff on sale, so I've been to like 8 different Bath and Body Works in like the last two weeks. There is a 75% off shelf, which is amazing, and is different at every store. For example, at some of the stores, they had toasted hazelnut and other random splashes for 75% off. Others had the passionberry, etc. lotions for 75% off. Yesterday's store had self-tanners and candles for 75% off. Nice deals. Also, the gift sets are at 40% at some stores and 50% at others...so it pays to look around...my predictions are that once the sale is over, it'll go up to 75% off and that's when I'll swoop in and buy some more stuff.

This is an innovative idea at Bath and Body Works, and I think it is excellent. For the three weeks of the sale, they have highlighted a special, just for that week...for $5. The first week was those huge candles, the second week was all about the lotions and body washes, and this final week is about True Blue Spa foot cream. For $5. From $14. Can I say GREAT DEAL?? Not only is it a great bargain...it gets you back into the store to buy more stuff!! A great idea. You can access the complete list at the website.

The sale ends today also. What's new with the store, however, is a new line...C.O. Bigelow. It debuts next week with the full line coming in February. I tried the lemon cream body lotion...and it is absolute ecstasy. At one of the stores, they even gave me a coupon for a free sample when it comes out. Now that's what I call great customer service.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home